Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What to Read!

the_maze_runner_book_cover_01I have so much more time to read now that I am basically between finishing my education and finding a job. I am in a strong fantasy mood and have decided to check out a slew of fantasy books that I have not yet read. I am really excited to dig into some of them. But, first things first:

LTUE is this month, and it will be my first time attending. James Dashner is set to be the guest of honor. I have read (and not yet reviewed) most of the first 13th Reality book, but did not entirely enjoy it, so I decided to give Dashner one more shot.9780765359247 Right now on the nook I am reading The Maze Runner. Tracy Hickman will also be at LTUE so I plan on reading the first book in his Dragonships of Vindras series before attending as well. I am very excited for the event and look forward to hearing what many great fantasy writers have to say about their craft. There will definitely be at least one post, maybe more, from BYU this month!

Next up for fantasy is going to be something from this list. Granted I have read a lot of the books here, but there are a few I have only heard of in passing and cannot wait to jump gardens_of_the_moon_coverinto. I think after LTUE I will start The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erickson, and after the first book in that series I am queuing up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (a suggestion for the Book Safari by Shanyn) having failed to find this used I will probably see about getting an ebook version. That is as far as I can go ahead, because any one of the previous mentioned books has at least one sequel, if they are good enough I might be sucked in!

As far as other readings go I am finding myself caught up in a whirlwind of great reading regarding one of my other favorite the-name-of-the-windtopics; Science and the paranormal. PoseySessions found me an amazing book, Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death, it is currently sitting at her house with about 40 pages read, cant wait to finish this one, and another book that reads like a sequel, Unbelievable: Investigations into Ghosts, Poltergeists, Telepathy, and Other Unseen Phenomena, from the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory. Both books are very similar and document closely related subjects happening 40 –80 years apart. Ghost Hunters chronicles Harvard psychology professor and pragmatic philosopher William James’ (whom I am enamored with) search for scientific proof or disproof of ghosts or spirits. Unbelievable is an account of Dr. J.B. Rhine’s search for ESP ( I found a first edition of Rhine’s New Frontiers of the Mind on the book safari, woot) I plan to finish these and maybe do a series of posts on them and my own philosophy on the topic.

41CqUtUeVZL._bL160_blum

1 comments:

Kailana said...

I LOVED The Name of the Wind! The sequel is out in... March, I think. I am so excited! Perfect time to read it because it was a while between books and you won't really have to wait.

Post a Comment

page image stolen from Aykanozener @ Deviant Art show some love, check it out.